The Ganh Dau
Trail is probably the most accessible and popular trail on the island. It is located near Ganh Dau Village off Suoi Cai Road, a red dirt road that takes you to the Bai Thom
Highway. The trail entrance is clearly marked and you can park your motorbike or bicycle next to the National Park sign, which unfortunately is in written in Vietnamese.
The Ganh Dau Trail can be explored by foot, mountain bike, or motorbike The trails terrain is mostly flat and consists of a mixture of dirt and gravel. The total length of the Forest Trail is 5km’s and it is a one way trail, which means you have to come back the same way you came in.
Currently there are no trail markers but it is almost impossible to get lost if you just follow the dirt path. If you do get lost, it is likely that you will end up at someone’s pepper farm. You know when you have reached the end of the trail when the wide main trail breaks off into smaller trails.
What you may see
You will definitely see a lot of plants and large trees. If you are lucky you may see monkeys, reptiles, a variety of insects and maybe even flying squirrels.
The above tree can be found close to the parks entrance and it is a popular spot for taking pictures.
How to get there
The most popular way to discover the Ganh Dau Trail is by joining a tour. However you can also go there by motorbike, bicycle, or by car/jeep. You can also hire a taxi or a Motorbike Taxi (Xe Om). If you want a motorbike driver for the day, it will cost you about 300,000VND to 500,000VND for a round trip ride depending on where you are. The motorbike taxi driver will take you to the entrance and wait for you until you are finished exploring.
Driving instructions on how to get to the Ganh Dau Trail:
To get to the Ganh Dau Trail head up to Ganh Dau Village. The road from Duong Dong Town to Ganh Dau Village is paved and it is an easy ride either by bicycle, motorbike, or car. From Ganh Dauh Village, follow the paved road until you reach a side dirt road that takes you to the Petrolinx gas station. This is the road that will take you not only to the Ganh Dau Trail, but also Rach Vem Village and eventually Thom Village.
Follow the road for about 6kms and you will see a large green sign and a path marking to entrance to the Ganh Dau trail.
Need to know
- If you are planning on trekking/cycling/motorbiking the Forest Trail on your own, please let your hotel/resort know just in case something happens.
- Bring enough water with you and fuel up your motorbike before you embark on your adventure. You can do this at Ganh Dau Village.
- The best time to see wildlife is at dawn and if you are planning on coming up here this early please make sure you bring mosquito/insect repellent with you.
- During the peak season, you will notice a lot of trash all over the place and this can be quite disconcerting.
- As always, leave only footprints and take only pictures.
Trail Rating: Easy