Rach Tram Beach
Discover remote Rach Tram Beach in Rach Tram Village, a small coastal area located in the far northern section of Phu Quoc Island.
Rach Tram Beach
Rach Tram Beach (Bai Rach Tram) is located in Rach Tram Village on the northern coast of Phu Quoc. Like Rach Vem Beach, this is not your typical beach but rather a working beach where fishermen and their families reside. To our surprise we did find a nice beach with white-yellowish sand and a clear blue green ocean sheltered by the nearby Du Bac cape.
Rach Tram Village
Rach Tram Village is a small fishing village belongs to Bai Thom commune and is only 800 meters wide and some 2.5 km long. It is a great place to absorb local life and it is well worth a visit, mainly for the cultural experience. The houses are built on stilts and situated above the beach or next to the Rach Tram river. There are several crab farms and seafood processing “plants” here as well as. Rach Tram river cuts through the village and empty’s into Rach Tram lake, one of four lakes found on Phu Quoc. Rach Tram has been slated for redevelopment and will become an eco-tourism site within the next decade.
What to see
- Fishermen village – You can see the Cambodian coast here and see how local fishermen live and work.
- Beach – The beach here has white sand.
- Seafood processing – you can watch how various seafood is processed for sale and consumption.
- Rach Tram River Ecosystem – A great example of a pristine mangrove forest ecosystem on Phu Quoc.
What to do
- Fishing – You can ask a local fisherman to take you out fishing either in the sea or in the river for a small fee, but you will need to be able to speak Vietnamese and/or Khmer (Cambodian).
- Hiking/trekking – There are some small trails that take you into the forest that could be worth exploring.
- Phu Quoc National Forest – You can enter the National Forest from Rach Tram by hiring a local fisherman to take you down the Rach Tram River which works its way into the park. The mangrove forest here is a great place to spot wildlife such as wild pigs and macaques.
Where to stay
- Currently there are no places to stay in Rach Tram for tourists.
Rach Tram Village & Beach Video: