Location of the Night Market
The night market is located in Duong Dong Town near the Dinh Cau Temple. To get to the night market, travel north on Tran Hung Dao street until you reach the roundabout. There you will see the entrance gate to the market on your left hand side. The market is the “biggest draw in town” so you will not miss it. If you are arriving by motorbike, then you can park it in front of the market or at a paid parking spot, which costs 10,000VND per motorbike. Both places are safe; just remember to secure your helmets.
Note: You cannot walk along North Long Beach to reach the market as North Long Beach effectively ends at Du Cau Phu Quoc Hotel and there is no more beach nor path left. You can only access the night market from either Tran Hung Dao street, Dinh Cau Temple or Dinh Cau Beach.
What To Expect
- At around 5pm, Vo Thi Sau street shuts down to motorized traffic and this street becomes a pedestrian only street.
- The night market becomes very busy around 7pm so if you want the freshest catch or you want to take pictures, arrive early.
- You do not need to ask for permission to take pictures as the vendors are accustomed to it.
- When you are walking down the night market street, a lot of the restaurant salesmen will try to pressure you into buying their seafood as they are competing for your business with the other restaurants. Some are friendly and some are not. Before choosing a restaurant we recommend that you first walk up and down the street to get oriented. The prices for the variety of dishes are all, more or less, the same and everything is negotiable.
- You will see a variety of fish on display, some laid out on ice and some swimming around in aerated fish tanks.
- You will also see a lot of “street children” begging at the entrance to the night market and it is up to you if you want to give them money or not.
Note: The seafood being sold at the night market is relatively expensive compared to other places on the island. There is about a 30% markup on all the seafood here.