Phu Quoc Airport
The Phu Quoc International Airport on Phu Quoc Island is Vietnam's fifth largest airport that has a passenger capacity of approximately to 5 million people annually. It is located only a few kilometers south of the major tourist areas of Long Beach (Bai Truong), Long Beach Village, and Duong Dong Town. Just south of the airport are the major luxury resorts and a highway that leads to An Thoi Port.
[box style=”1″]Airport Name: Phu Quoc International Airport
Address: Tổ 2, Ấp Dương Tơ,, Dương Tơ, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang, Vietnam
IATA Code: PQC | ICAO Code: VVPQ
GPS: 10°10′18″N 103°59′28″E
Completed: 2012 by Airports Corporation of Vietnam
Costs: $810MN US million
Max Capacity: 7MN passengers per year
Runway Length: 3000 meters[/box]
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stHZm9zqjio” width=”1000″ height=”600″ controls=”no” autohide=”yes” showinfo=”no” rel=”no” modestbranding=”yes” wmode=”transparent”]
Phu Quoc Airport Location Map
[su_gmap address=”Phu Quoc International Airport, Phu Quoc”]
[hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
Arriving at Phu Quoc International Airport – What to expect
When your plane touches down on the tarmac you will exit from either the front or rear of your aircraft. You will then board a bus which will take you to the arrivals section of the airport.[responsive][/responsive]
If you do not have any luggage checked in you can immediately exit the airport otherwise you will have to wait about 10 minutes for the airport staff to unload all luggage from the plane. Make sure you keep your luggage tags as there will be someone near the exit doors to check all bags.[responsive][/responsive]
At the arrival area you will find BIDV, VietcomBank, and Sacombank ATM machines where you can withdraw money from either your domestic or international bank accounts. There are also ATM's at Long Beach Village, Duong Dong Town, An Thoi Town, Ham Ninh Village, Cua Can Village, and Ganh Dau Village.[responsive][/responsive] [hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
Once you have exited the airport you can find a variety of transport options. If you are staying at a major resort, there will be someone waiting to pick you up. If not, you can take a taxi and there will be quite a few waiting for you. There are 4 taxi company's that serve the airport and the prices are more or less the same depending on the size of the vehicle you choose. In addition to the taxi fares you are also responsible for the airport toll, which is 20,000VND. Your taxi driver will either ask you to pay this toll up front or add it to the overall fare upon arrival to your destination.
Approximate Taxi Fares:
The following is a range of fares. The fare will vary depending on the size of vehicle you choose.
- Phú Quốc Airport to Long Beach Village: 90,000VND to 140,000VND
- Phu Quoc Airport to Duong Dong Town: 160,000VND to 180,000VND
- Phu Quoc Airport to Ham Ninh Village: 150,000VND to 180,000VND
- Phu Quoc Airport to Ganh Dau Village / Bai Dai Beach / Vinpearl Phu Quoc: 400,000VND
- Phú Quốc Airport to Sao Beach: 275,000VND to 450,000VND
- Phu Quoc Airport to Kem Beach / J.W. Marriott Phu Quoc Resort: ~300,000VND one way
- Phu Quoc Airport to Ong Lang Beach: 200,000VND to 350,000VND
- Phú Quốc Airport to Vung Bau Beach: 400,000VND to 600,000VND
If you do not have any luggage checked in and are traveling by yourself, you can take a motorbike taxi (aka “Xe Om”) into town. The motorbike taxis are located in the passenger drop off parking lot area. To find the parking lot, first exit the airport and then turn right and head towards the large paved lot.[one_half]The cost of a motorbike taxi are as follows:
- Airport to Duong Dong Town: 60,000 VND to 70,000VND
- Airport to Long Beach Village: 50,000VND
- Airport to Sao Beach: 100,000VND
- Airport to Ong Lang Beach: 100,000VND to 120,000VND
The cost for the motorbike taxi roughly equates to 10,000VND per 1km and you also have to pay a 5,000VND toll.[/one_half] [one_half_last][separator headline=”h3″ title=”Xe Om Area”][responsive][/responsive][/one_half_last]
[box style=”1″]Note: You can pre arrange a motorbike taxi by calling Chú Vũ: +840939549828. He speaks Vietnamese but his son can speak English and will help translate.[/box][hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
When your visit to the island is over and it is time to fly back to your city of origin, then you will need to go to the second floor of the airport where the departure area is located. At the departure area there are a few souvenir shops, a liquor shop, pearl jewelry shop, a Nike store, and 2 coffee shops. Once you pass the airport security screening and head towards the departure gate seating area you will also find more pearl jewelry shops, a Burger King, a bar, a Vietnamese restaurant, and more souvenir shops.
[responsive][/responsive] [hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
Airlines That Fly To Phu Quoc
As of 2017, there are currently 4 domestic airlines that fly in and out of Phu Quoc International Airport (IATA Code: PQC | ICAO Code: VVPQ):
- Vietnam Airlines (a government owned airline);
- VietJetAir (Vietnam's leading low cost carrier (LCC) airline);
- Jetstar Pacific.
- VASCO (operated by Vietnam Airlines)
Air Mekong is also present on the island but not operational since the closure of the old airport. There are also thirty direct chartered flights per month from the United Kingdon (TUI), Sweden (TUI), Norway (TUI), and Russia (Pegas Touristik) and guests from these countries are eligible for the 30 day Phu Quoc Visa exemption.[hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
[hr style=”2″ margin=”20px 0px 20px 0px”]
Latest Flight News:
- Flights from Russia: Direct chartered flights from Russia to Phu Quoc Island will be suspended in 2015 due to the fall of the Russian Rouble and weak market demand. 190,000+ Russians visited Phu Quoc in 2014.
- New flight routes: New flight routes from South Korea, Kazakhstan, China, and Bangkok are set to commence in the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2015.
- Foreign tourists may get tax refund in Phu Quoc: The government plans to make Phu Quoc Airport one of the places where tourists can get their value-added tax refund before leaving the country. Value added tax refunds are now paid to foreign tourists at four international airports in HCMC, Hanoi Da Nang, Cam Ranh near Nha Trang, and seaports in HCMC, Da Nang, and Nha Trang. The refunds apply to new goods worth a minimum of VND2 million ($94).
- More European Direct Flights: TUI Nordic, a tour operator and charter airline based in Stockholm, Sweden, plans to launch nonstop flights to Phu Quoc island, in December 2016.
- United Kingdom to Phu Quoc: Thomson and First Choice will offer at 12 hour direct flight from the UK to Phu Quoc on a 787 Dreamliner beginning 2017.