Motorbike Rental Insurance: Majority of the motorbikes on Phu Quoc are not insured by the motorbike rental company. If you get into an accident, you have to pay all the fees for repair and/or the replacement cost of the motorbike.
What To Expect From Phu Quoc Motorbike Rental Shops:
- Motorbike rentals are usually for the day (12hours). Ask the shop if they can rent you a motorbike for 24hrs, especially if you want to catch the sunrise somewhere.
- Discounted rates are given for weekly and monthly rentals.
- Basic helmets are provided (most often they are visor-less and not full-faced).
- The shop will have a collection of old and new motorbikes. Try to pick a newer motorbike if you can.
- 2 types of bikes are available for rent: automatic and semi. Semi's are usually 50,000VND cheaper per day and consume less gas. Automatics are easier to ride as you do not need to shift gears.
- Normally there is no contract to sign. You pay the money, choose your helmet, and then you are ready to ride.
Can I Rent A Motorbike At The Phu Quoc International Airport?
As of April 2018 you cannot rent a motorbike at the airport directly. You can, however, get a motorbike delivered to you by making arrangements in advanced. This is not recommended though as you will not get to choose your motorbike.
Do I have to surrender my passport to rent a motorbike on Phu Quoc?
If you want to rent a motorbike on Phu Quoc some rental businesses will ask you for your passport while others will only ask you where you are staying. We've noticed that shops that are located within Long Beach Village are more lenient than those located along Tran Hung Dao Street, the main touristy road. It seems as though the smaller businesses on the less popular side streets are more open to just holding a passport photocopy or a cash deposit instead.
Tip: We recommend that you do not hand over your passport, and if you are staying at a resort most likely your resort is holding your passport anyways. Some motorbike shops will ask to hold you passport for leverage in case something happens to the motorbike but legally they cannot withhold a passport from you.
What to Bring to Rent a Motorbike in Phu Quoc:
- Original passport. The motorbike rental shop will make a copy.
- Contact information, such as your telephone number or address, or your hotel.
- Cash. Budget roughly 200,000VND ($5 to $15 USD) per day, depending on your motorbike preference.
Most motorbike rental businesses on Phu Quoc do not ask to see proof of a driver's license, and some don't even ask if you have ever ridden a motorbike before. As long as you can drive away from their shop without toppling over or crashing into something or someone, you're as free as a bird. Keep in mind, though, that you are driving at your own risk if you don’t have much experience! Once you have successfully rented a motorbike, the next thing for you to do is to go to a gas station and fill up the tank. Normally there is just enough gas in the tank to take you to the nearest gas station only.
Tips & Trick Before Zooming Off
- Inspect the motorbike thoroughly. Also take pictures of the bike from every angle and of every little scratch and dent. If you see any damage, let the motorbike owner know. If you have a smartphone with you, take a video of your bike with the shop in the background. Finally take a picture of the speedometer, that is if it is working.
- Record the contact details of the motorbike rental place. They should have a business card. Take a picture of the shop as well.
- Do a quick test drive before committing to rent the motorbike. Be aware of any unusual sounds and wobbling and let the owner know about it. Switch bikes if necessary.
- Get directions. Finally, ask the shop owner where the nearest gas/petrol station is. They are found all over Phu Quoc now.