Phu Quoc Ferry Schedules and Fares
Planning a trip to Phu Quoc? Learn more about Phu Quoc Islands ferry schedules, speed boats, ferry ticket costs, ports & piers, departure & arrival times and much more by reading the following detailed and accurate Phu Quoc Ferry information guide, which has been updated for the 2017 – 2018 travel season.
In the following sections you will learn how to travel to and from Phu Quoc from either Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Ha Tien, Rach Gia, or Cambodia by boat. You will also learn about which ferry routes are the most scenic, what to expect on your journey, and how to get to your hotel once you have landed on Phú Quốc, Vietnam’s paradise island.
All About The Phu Quoc Ferry To The Island
The seven ways to get to Vietnam’s Phu Quoc Island directly by sea are:
1. Fast Ferry from Ha Tien or Rach Gia. Taking the fast ferry is convenient, fun, and a safe way to travel to Phu Quoc by boat.
2. Slow Ferry from Ha Tien only. The slow ferry is a great option for those transporting vehicles or want to a more relaxed journey to the island. The difference between the fast ferry and slow ferry to Phu Quoc in terms of travel time is just one hour. Both boats are equally comfortable, clean, and modern.
3. Sightseeing boat from Saigon. The Saigon to Phu Quoc junk boat “cruise” is a private 2 day travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Phú Quốc with a stop at Can Tho.
4. International cruise ship travel. Phu Quoc is now an established cruise ship destination » see Phu Quoc Cruise Ship Travel.
5. Local boat. It’s possible to travel to Phu Quoc Island via a local boat however you will be sharing the boat with animals, produce, and other goods. The trip from Vietnam’s mainland to Phuquoc by a local fishing boat takes about 8 hours and it is not a comfortable journey. If this is intimate cultural experience is of interest to you then your first step involves finding a local fisherman in the Mekong Delta area who’s willing to accommodate you and accept the risks of transporting tourists to the island. Traveling to Phuquoc by a local boat is done at your own risk and will violate your travel insurance policy. If you do chose this method, please make sure you have a valid Vietnam visa.
6. Ferry from Cambodia to Phu Quoc. A new speed ferry route connecting Sihanoukville, Kampot, & Kep with Phu Quoc is currently being established via Sihanoukville Autonomous Port’s new multipurpose terminal (coming in 2018).
7. Ferry from Thailand. A new ferry route from Koh Chang to Phu Quoc is currently being established (coming in 2019).
Sea Transport Travel To Phu Quoc
On this page we cover the fast ferry and the slow ferry travel options to Phu Quoc as they are the most popular, regulated by licensed Phu Quoc ferry operators, equipped with lifesaving systems, and have the most stable schedules during the dry and wet seasons. For those of you who are interested in swimming (it’s possible), kayaking, or sailing, to Phu Quoc from either mainland Vietnam or nearby Cambodia, please note that these options are forbidden and illegal as all travel to and from Phu Quoc is regulated. The 28 island district that makes up “Phu Quoc District” is classified as a a special economic zone and an international tourist destination with a proper port authority and military personal governing all inbound and outbound travel.
Phu Quoc Ferry Route Map
Fast Ferry To Phu Quoc Island
The fastest way to get to Phu Quoc Island by sea is by taking the “Fast Ferry” offered by the Speedboat Corporation Superdong. Their fleet of ferries are called “Superdong” and have only two routes to the island: Rach Gia – Phu Quoc and Ha Tien – Phu Quoc. The total travel time is roughly 2 hours and 35 minutes. The total carrying capacity for the ferry is 306 passengers and 8 tonnes of cargo. All boats leaving mainland Vietnam will dock at Vong Beach Port (Bai Vong Port) on the eastern coast of Phu Quoc Island. At Vong Beach Port there will be taxis and shared minibuses waiting for you to take your destination. The new uber-like taxi app PQRide will be available soon as well making transportation around the island very easy.
Rach Gia to Phu Quoc Fast Ferry Schedule:
The following is a schedule table for the Rach Gia to / from Phu Quoc Island sea transport and ferry route for both the dry and wet season:
Ha Tien to Phu Quoc Fast Ferry Schedule:
The following is a regular season schedule table for the Ha Tien to / from Phu Quoc Island sea transport ferry route:
The following is a high season & holiday season schedule table for the Ha Tien Phu Quoc Island sea route:
Phu Quoc Fast Ferry Fares:
What To Expect On Board The Superdong Ferry To Phu Quoc?
The Superdong ferry transports both people and cargo, sometimes even live animals so prepare yourself for an onslaught of various odors. Once you enter the ferry your bags will be safely stored for you and then you will make your way to your assigned seat, which is marked on your ferry ticket. It is important that you sit at your designated seat until the ferry has disembarked. The interior ferry cabin is air conditioned and equipped with a large flt screen television that plays various Vietnamese shows to occupy your time. A karaoke and limited wifi are also available on board. At the very back of the superdong ferry boat there is an open air seating area where you can eenjoy the fresh air and scenery or, like some of the locals, vomit. Sea sickness can be a problem for some, especially during the wet season, and it is best to avoid eating a meal before going on-board. There are modern bathrooms on the ferry as well.
How Can I Book A Fast Ferry Ticket to Phu Quoc?
There are 3 ways to purchase a superdong fast ferry ticket:
- From a travel agent anywhere in Vietnam.
- Directly at the ferry port, Phu Quoc’s Bai Vong Port, Ha Tien Port or Rach Gia Port.
- By contacting the Superdong ferry company and arranging for tickets. The Superdong ferry company has offices in Saigon, Rach Gia, Ha Tien, and on Phu Quoc. (see below).
Address: 10, 30/4 street, 2th Block, Duong Dong Town
Tel: 0773 980
Hotline: 0919 664 660
Address: 12, Nguyen Ngoc Loc, 14 Ward, 10 District
Tel: (08)38 666 333
Address: 14, Tu Do Street, Vinh Thanh Ward
Tel: (077)3 877 742
Address: 11, Tran Hau Street, Binh San Ward
*Note: During the high season and holiday season, the ferry tickets sell out fast so book accordingly.
Can I Take My Motorbike, Motorcycle or Bicycle on the Superdong Ferry?
Yes you can, for an additional fee and if there is capacity. The crew will load and unload your 2 wheeler for you. If you plan on bringing your motorbike on board the fast ferry it is better to make a reservation in advance as spots are limited.
Slow Ferry To Phu Quoc
The “slow” Phu Quoc ferry is a larger boat that transports people as well as vehicles and heavy machinery and operated by the Thanh Thoi Ferry Boat Corporation. As of 2017 Thanh Thoi operates three slow ferry routes, all of which depart from Ha Tien.
- The first route is from Ha Tien to Da Chong Port (3.5 hrs), which is located in Bai Thom Village at the North Eastern part of the island. This is a very remote section of Phu Quoc but the most scenic as the port is located just east of the National Park. The Ha Tien ↔ Da Chong Port route is the original/oldest Phu Quoc slow ferry route.
- The second route is from Ha Tien to Bai Vong Port (3.0 hrs), which is located just south of Ham Ninh Village. The Ha Tien ↔ Bai Vong (Bãi Vòng) slow ferry route is a new route established in 2017 after the completion of the Bai Vong Ferry Terminal (Nhà phục vụ hành khách Cảng Bãi Vòng). The Thanh Thoi ferry from Ha Tien to Bai Vong is the route of choice now for the slow ferry.
- The third route, which is less popular and subject to a constant change of schedules, is from Ha Tien to Dam Bay Port (3.5 hrs). The Dam Bay Port, also known as Vinh Dam Port or Cảng Vịnh Đầm, was established in 2016 mainly for commercial purposes and is located in the South Eastern part of Phu Quoc Island in An Thoi. Duong Dong/Long beach, the main tourist areas is just 20 minutes away from Dam Bay Port thanks to the new roads and highways in the area.
Phu Quoc Slow Ferry Schedule – Ha Tien to / from Da Chong Port (North Phu Quoc)
Ha Tien to Da Chong Port (Bai Thom)
- 5:30AM Daily
- 2:30PM Daily
- 5:00PM Daily
Da Chong Port To Ha Tien
- 5:00AM Daily
- 11:0AM Daily
- 5:30PM Daily
Phu Quoc Slow Ferry Schedule – Ha Tien to / from Bai Vong Port (Bai Vong Port)
Ha Tien to Bai Vong Port
- 6:30 AM Daily
- 3:30 PM Daily
- 4:00 PM Daily
Bai Vong Port To Ha Tien
- 6:00 AM Daily
- 8:30 AM Daily
- 9:30 AM Daily
- 11:30 AM DAILY
- 4:00 PM DAILY
- 5:30 PM DAILY
Phu Quoc Slow Ferry Schedule – Ha Tien to / from Vinh Dam Port (South Phu Quoc)
Ha Tien to Vinh Dam Port (An Thoi)
- 4:30AM Daily
- 7:00AM Daily
- 10:00AM Daily
- 12:30PM Daily
Vinh Dam Port (An Thoi) To Ha Tien
- 8:30AM Daily
- 1:00PM Daily
- 3:00PM Daily
- 4:30PM Daily
Vinh Dam and the adjacent Cau River (Rạch Cầu Sấu) area are both currently being developed into 7 hectare mixed residential area tourist complex known as Lagoon Bay (Khu phức hợp Vịnh Đầm) and as such there is plenty of construction happening in this area. If you are planning on staying in Sao Beach or at the J.W. Marriott Phu Quoc Resort, then this route may be one to consider.
Vinh Dam Port is 23.5 km away from Duong Dong Town, 6.6 km from An Thoi Town, and 14.5 km from the Phu Quoc International Airport.
Slow Ferry Ticket Fares
The one way fare for the slow ferry is 185,000VND per person. If you are planning on bringing a vehicle, the following highlights the various fees charged per vehicle:
- Motorcycle under 150cc: 80,000VND
- 150cc motorcycle over 150cc: 320,000VND
- Small car: 700,000VND
- Small truck: 990,000VND
- Mid-sized car: 990,000VND
- SUV: 1,200,000VND
- Small bus: 1,800,000VND
- Large bus; 3,000,000VND
- Trucks: 600,000VND per ton
Ha Tien Slow Ferry Terminal Video:
The following is a video that tours the slow ferry terminal in Ha Tien on mainland Vietnam.
Da Chong Ferry Terminal In Phu Quoc Video:
The following is a video of the slow ferry terminal located on Phu Quoc Island called Da Chong Port (Đá Chồng):
How To Get To Long Beach, Duong Dong From The Phu Quoc Ferry Terminal?
Once you arrive at the Phu Quoc Ferry Terminal you can get to Long Beach (Bai Truong) by either taking a private taxi or a shared mini van. The later is much cheaper as it will only cost you $3.00US or 60,000VND per person. If you are a larger group then it would make more sense to take a taxi. The minibus will drop you off in front of the entrance to the Long Beach Village, the most central area in Phu Quoc.
Cruise Ship Travel To Phu Quoc
Trial runs for an international cruise ship route to Phu Quoc first began in 2008 by Hong Kong’s Royal Group “Jupiter Cruises”, followed by the successful arrival of the German ferry cruise ship “MS Europa 2” in 2013 and 2014. In 2017 Italy’s Costa Crociere ferry cruise liner company launched the Thailand → Cambodia → Phu Quoc route once Bangkok’s Laem Chabang Port began operations. The cruise-ship known as “The Costa Victoria” arrived on Phu Quoc at Duong Dong Port, and it’s arrival officially kicked off the South East Asia cruise ship travel and tourism industry. More international routes will be established once the new Duong Dong International Seaport and the Phu Quoc Marina are fully operational.
Accommodations Near Ferry Ports
There are plenty of accommodations near or at Phu Quoc ferry port’s, in Ha Tien, or in Rach Gia. Accommodations can be short term for just a few hours, for the day, or for multiple days/weeks. For ferry port accommodations locations and deals, please see the following: